- Marie (2021), acrylic on panel, 14 x 11 in.
Queen of Hearts (2021), acrylic on panel, 10 x 8 in.
- Marie II (2021), acrylic on panel, 14 x 11 in.
- Ms. (2021), acrylic on panel w/embellishments, 14 x 11 in.
- Ersatz America (2016), purse, flag, money, suture cotton, compass, prison twine, snake skin, 3 x 14 x 9 in.
- Golden Egg Chick (2020), wood, acrylic paint, ceramic egg, gold leaf, braid, 3 x 20 x 17 in.
- Refuge (2020), wood, silk, glass, paint, thread, photocopy, 18 x 26 x 15 in.
- Say Their Names (2020), purse, wasp nests, silk, thorns, thread, photocopy, 11 x 4 x 9 in.
The evolution of my art away from working strictly as a painter toward sculptural objects and installation manifests my internal discourse with personal history and gender. I believe that we leave energy in the objects we interact with. I see objects and animals as ways to express ideas and emotions. I am concerned with what it takes to maintain the socially constructed perception of womanhood. My work serves as an interpretation of the issues I have encountered.
Cheryl Thomas was raised in a small town in the high desert of Arizona. Her family came west with the railroad in the early 1900’s. She attended college in Flagstaff, Arizona earning degrees in Arts Management and Art Education. Moving to the east coast, she earned a MFA in Painting at Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Georgia. She currently resides in Arizona where she lives with her young son and dog.