Corpus: Excerpts From The Body Project
japanese paper, ink, silk
24 x 36 in.
For several years my work has questioned culturally determined body ideals while exploring issues of beauty, security, youthfulness, and power. I recently developed a series of questions about the body that was sent to a diverse audience of men and women, ranging in age from 20-70 years:
- Are you comfortable with your body?
- What do you admire about your body?
- What would you change about your body?
- How have your thoughts and feelings changed over time concerning your body?
- Can you imagine yourself without a body?
Honest and poignant, the Body Project responses – compromised of stories, confessions, observations, and memories – form the basis of current work in glass, cloth, paper, light, and shadow.
© Christine LoFaso