Vicky DeLong makes ceramic work both for daily use and as art objects as well as making handmade artist books and fiber art sculptures. Her ceramic work is hand built using the slab technique; adding textures and patterns with stamps she has made; then forming the object. More textured clay pieces may be added until she is satisfied with the design.
Vicky’s book arts bring together her interest in raw materials and are created using simple structures along with cardboard, handmade paper and various ephemera.
Earlier this year, Vicky added another medium to her creative practice. This medium is fiber arts using natural or pre-printed fabrics/batiks and natural items to create wall or table sculptures. Slow stitching is added for more interest. These sculptures created have aesthetic value over utilitarian.
Studying and living in Italy brought the gift of looking, and Vicky is most inspired by the art, architecture, and landscape. Visiting museums and embracing the culture has had a lasting impact on her inspiration.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Vicky DeLong’s art is created in a studio at her home in San Diego, CA and in Studio 16B at the Spanish Village Art Center, Balboa Park, San Diego.
Vicky joined the staff at Front Porch Gallery, in Carlsbad, CA, in 2018 until 2023 with her expertise of many years working as an arts administrator. She is also the Art Program Coordinator for Mission Trails Regional Park Foundation in San Diego where she organizes fine art exhibits in their Visitor Center Art Gallery. In addition, Vicky is the Director of Gallery 21 in Spanish Village Art Center where she manages the outreach art exhibits throughout the year.
Vicky has shown her art at numerous art galleries throughout San Diego County including but not limited to:
– “The Annual Small Image” Shows, Gallery 21, Spanish Village Art Center, Balboa Park, San Diego, CA
– Members Only Exhibit, Escondido Municipal Gallery, Escondido, CA
– West Coast Fiber and Textile Arts, Escondido Municipal Gallery, Escondido, CA
– “Save the Ocean” Surfing Madonna Oceans Project, Escondido Municipal Gallery, Escondido, CA
– Fiber and Book Arts Exhibition, Third Place Award, Escondido Municipal Gallery, Escondido, CA
– San Diego Books Arts Members Show and Annual Juried Exhibitions, Front Porch Gallery, Carlsbad, CA
– Selected Artists Show, Wieghorst Museum, El Cajon, CA
– “Spring Fever” Inspirations & The Ink Spot Galleries, Liberty Station, San Diego, CA
– Art Telling Group – Fairouz Cafe and Gallery, San Diego, CA
© Vicky DeLong