1. Black Widow – lace crochet, wax, acrylic, wire; 16 x 30 x 25 in.
2. Candeo Aedes – crochet, copper patina, metal leaf, wire; 39 x 21 x 6 in.
3. Lumen – crochet, metal leaf, copper patina, wire; 67 x 34 x 5 in.
4. Ripple (2018) – lace crochet, iron paint, metal leaf, wire; 15 x 27 x 7 in.
5. Scheherazade Apologus – lace crochet, copper patina, metal leaf, wire; 26 x 34 x 14 in.
6. Untitled – lace crochet, wax, wire, tire tread; 24 x 24 x 15 in.
7. Versailles – lace crochet, iron paint, metal leaf, wire; 47 x 25 x 15 in.
8. Mare Pavimento – mixed, lace, encaustic; 23 x 20 x 15 in.
My sculpture is concerned with elegance, beauty, line, structure and the formal interplay of surface, materials and techniques. Through these interactions I construct a dialogue between the fundamentals of the masculine and feminine.
Conventional textiles and textile techniques are re-purposed to create complex dimensional compositions that interact with luminosity, line, shadows and textures. They are structural and strong while resonating with and reflecting their genesis and origins; the soft, pliable, penetrable and organic. Surface patinas, copper, rust and metal leaf reference age and sculpture fabricated, forged and molded through fire, heat and hammer in direct opposition and incongruity to the ethereal and elegant forms constructed from the drawing of thread. They do not confront but rather seduce us into an interior and unconscious conversation melding the two opposing perceptions.
© Louise Pappageorge