1. Journey Into Possibilities (2018) – fiberglass and resin, acrylic paint; 9’ x 14’ x 4 in. (one of eight works throughout the Lincoln Hall Advising Center, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL)
2. Journey Into Possibilities (2018) – fiberglass and resin, acrylic paint; 9’ x 14’ x 4 in. (one of eight works throughout the Lincoln Hall Advising Center, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL)
3. Overlapping Connections (2015) – ceramic, acrylic paint. 10.5’ x 12’ x 4 in. (Chinatown Cermak CTA Station)
4. Ten Thousand Ripples, Public Art, Peace and Civic Engagement (2013-Ongoing) – fiberglass and resin. 26 x 24 x 25 in. (Palmisano Park, one of numerous locations. Chicago Park Distric)
5. Conversations: Here And Now (2009) – bronze, cement platform. 6 x 13 x 13 ft. (Public Art Work, City of Evanston, IL)
6. Satyagraha (Holding Fast to Truth) (2017) – ceramic, oxides, saffron fabric; 120 x 20 x 31 in.
7. Human Technology; Understanding (2014) – mixed media; 20.5 x 12 x 15.5 in.
8. Installation view of: Escape Clause (2013) – ceramic, mixed media; 26 x 27 x 10 in. and Regeneration (2015) – medical X ray film, (MRI of my mom’s brain) rudraksha (holy) beads, metal wire; 60 x 48 in.
Indira Freitas Johnson
Award winning artist and educator, Indira Freitas Johnson’s passion to make art part of everyday life to involve local communities in the art process and to cultivate peace as individual action is evident in all her work. Influenced by an artist father and a mother who was a social activist, Johnson believes strongly that art and activism are a powerful combination for social change.
Johnson’s work has been exhibited nationally and internationally and is represented in numerous private and public collections including the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago Transit Authority, Rhode Island School of Design Museum, Providence, RI.
© Indira Freitas Johnson