This photographic series documenting prophylactic refuse encountered throughout the city, invites the viewer to engage with these discarded objects through curiosity. These works are intended to spark conversations around the myriad topics this litter elucidates: ecological/environmental concerns around trash disposal; socio-economic challenges such as housing rights; & sexual health/reproductive justice issues. They summon the viewer to grapple with their own feelings of disgust, embarrassment or silliness & even excitement in reckoning with this rubbish. There can be a surprising beauty and much humor found in examining this dross through new/different lenses.
Anna Nichol Stutsman (b. 1979, Goshen, Indiana) is a San Francisco based conceptual artist. In 2010 she received an Associates of Applied Science in Welding Technology, with a specialty in Art Metals from Austin Community College, Austin, Texas. In 2015 she received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting from the San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, California. Working from an interdisciplinary practice, she utilizes collage, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, and sculpture techniques as she seeks to embody the act of questioning.
- 2023 “Climate Change: Protecting Mother Earth”, SFWA Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- “ArtSpan Benefit Art Auction”, 111 Minna Gallery, San Francisco, CA
Selected Groups Exhibitions
- “Tickled Pink,” Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, IL. Virtual Only
- “Tiny,” Two Cats Gallery, El Cerito, CA. (upcoming)
- “SEA,” Drawing Room, San Francisco, CA
- “Small Works,” Soft Times Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- “Women Rising,” Drawing Room, San Francisco, CA
- “FUTURE TENSE,” Drawing Room Annex, San Francisco, CA
- “me to myself,” O’Hanlon Center For The Arts, Mill Valley, CA. Virtual Only.
“Women Rising,” Drawing Room Annex, San Francisco, CA
- “Winter W o/a nderland,” Evolved SF, San Francisco, CA
- “TRUMPED/UP,” Gallery Luperca, Nashville, TN
- “BFA Exhibition,” San Francisco Art Institute, CA
- “E.A.S.T. Austin Studio Exhibition,” Pine Street Gallery, Austin, TX
- “Spring Student Exhibition,” Austin Community College, TX
- “Summer Student Exhibition,” Santa Reparata Int’l School of Art, Florence, Italy
- “The Possible,” with “The Something,” Berkeley Art Museum, CA
- “Drink Liquor”, Issue 45, Worst of Nashville 2: Quaranzine, Salt Weekly, https://www.saltweekly.com/about, April, 2020. Print/Web.
- “Blood”, Issue 47, Salt Weekly, https://www.saltweekly.com/about, December, 2019. Print/Web.
- “If This Art Could Vote”, Huffington Post, https://ifthisartcouldvote.huffingtonpost.com, 07 August, 2016. Web only.
© Anna Nichol Stutsman