1. Dawn Rising – oil on linen; 72 x 38 in.
2. Storm at Sea – oil and graphite on linen; 72 x 52 in.
3. Sand Dune – oil and graphite on canvas; 30 x 30 in.
4. Cadmium Yellow Rising – oil on canvas; 36 x 36 in.
5. New Yorker in the Rain – oil and graphite on canvas; 48 x 36 in.
6. 4th in Yellow – oil, graphite, and textile on canvas; 36 x 24 in.
7. Beach Talk – oil and graphite on canvas; 40 x 46 in.
Flynn works with the concept of memory in her studies, often beginning with a specific experience — either her own or inspired by a photograph. Memory is fluid; figures are intentionally kept loose and gestural. She plays with paint. Like memory, it’s sometimes lush and vibrant, sometimes thin and dripping away. Land and seascapes are broad and dreamy, stripped of specificity. Color, composition and mood dominate the landscape.
Flynn creates paintings that use the personal to access the universal, allowing viewers to drift into an emotive sense of time and space.
© Caitlin Flynn