1. What Was a Barn – oil on canvas; 14 x 18 in.
2. Monroe Street at Dusk – oil on canvas; 10 x 10 in.
3. Rain Chaos – oil on board; 11 x 14 in.
4. Deconstruction – oil on board; 11 x 14 in.
5. Alley in Lakeview – oil on canvas; 18 x 24 in.
Barbara Kay Herring
Chicago is home and provides much of my inspiration. EL tracks, old water tanks, neighborhoods and their inhabitants are all part of the urban landscape that I am drawn to. Working either with oils, watercolor, or pens, I strive to capture the mood of a scene that caught my attention in the first place.
If painting on site, I focus on capturing the light and shapes of the scene in a short period of time. If working with my own photographs, I’ll start with a drawing to work out the composition and value patterns. Making sure that all these elements make sense in a finished painting is a challenge: a continual learning experience. In the end, I hope the final work is one that the viewer can relate to.
© Barbara Kay Herring